Day 22 of The Watchers' Advent Calendar and the end is in sight! Just two more doors to open (as it were). Today's offering is from a film that has become a bit of a modern Christmas classic.
* * *
Love Actually (2003)
Richard Curtis' charming portmanteau comedy-drama set at Christmas features a star-filled cast including Hugh Grant, Emma Thompson, Liam Neeson, Alan Rickman, Rowan Atkinson, Martin Freeman, Colin Firth and Laura Linney, and shows various characters negotiating the paths of life, love and relationships.
One of the strongest threads is that of Billy Mack (a BAFTA-winning performance by the brilliant Bill Nighy), a washed-up singer aiming for the Christmas Number 1 single with 'Christmas Is All Around' (a take-off of 'Love Is All Around' which was used in Curtis' Four Weddings And A Funeral and topped the UK charts for fifteen consecutive weeks during the summer of 1994).
For those who haven't seen the film, here's the video for 'Christmas Is All Around':
The answers to yesterday's quiz are:
1. The singer who teamed up with Bing Crosby for a version of 'The Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth' and starred in Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence is David Bowie
2. In Elf, Edward Asner plays Santa Claus
3. In The Nightmare Before Christmas, Jack's ghostly dog is called Zero.
4. Imelda Staunton provides the voice of Mrs Santa in Arthur Christmas.
5. 'Jingle Bell Rock' can be heard during the opening scene of Lethal Weapon.
Come back tomorrow for the penultimate entry of The Watchers' Advent Calendar!