Something a little bit different today - a couple of ideas for snacking whilst watching a film at home.
* * *
Christmas Movie Munchies
These recipes are easy to make and are great accompaniments to home movie viewing.
Sweet and Salty Crunch Nut Bars
Recipe From - Kitchen: Recipes From the Heart of the Home by Nigella Lawson
200g dark chocolate
100g milk chocolate
125g unsalted butter
1 x 15ml tbsp golden syrup
250g salted peanuts
2 x 80g Crunchie bars
1 x 25cm spring-form tin (or other round cake tin) or 1 x foil tray approx. 30 x 20 x 5cm
In a saucepan, break the chocolates into pieces and add the butter and golden syrup. Melt gently over low heat.
Tip the peanuts into a bowl and crush the Crunchie bars with your hands, adding the crushed Crunchie bars to the nuts.
Take the melted chocolate mixture off the heat and stir in the peanuts and crushed Crunchie bars, then tip straight to the foil tray. Smooth the top of the mixture and put it in the fridge for about four hours before cutting into slices as desired.
* * *
By Jayne Cross (BBC Food Website)
A Christmas treat for chocolate fans! These festive brownies are laced with cranberries, pecans and mixed spice.
100g/3½oz dried cranberries
300g/10½oz dark chocolate, broken into chunks
4 free-range eggs
300g/10½oz light muscovado sugar
200g/7oz plain flour
1 tsp mixed spice
100g/3½oz pecans, roughly chopped
icing sugar, to serve
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4 and line a 30x20cm/12x8in tin with baking parchment.
2. Melt the chocolate and butter in a bowl over a pan of simmering water, or in the microwave. Stir gently until smooth then set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until pale and fluffy.
4. Whisk the chocolate and butter mix into the eggs then gently fold in the flour, mixed spice, pecans and cranberries until fully incorporated.
5. Pour into the prepared tin, smooth the surface then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, or until the brownie is firm to the touch.
6. Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then place on a wire rack until cooled completely.
7. Once cool, cut into squares and dust the tops with icing sugar.